Sunday, March 20, 2011

How Do Intuitive Eaters Grocery Shop?

Oddly, I find it increasingly difficult to grocery shop now that I'm trying to eat more intuitively. Often, I can't, for the life of me figure out what I want to eat. Sometimes, stuff looks good at the store and I bring it home, then I don't want it and end up tossing it. Equally as frustrating is that I often find that items are too large. I buy something I want, but there's too much of it. Before, I would have eaten it just to use it up. Now, I know that unless I eat the same thing three times per day, I'm going to end up tossing stuff. And that annoys me.

I'm struggling with this aspect of IE these days. The obvious solution is to freeze more items, but that presents its own challenges. I'm not a terribly picky eater in terms of ingredients, but food textures are an entirely different matter. Freezing changes the textures of food and there are a lot of items that I just won't eat after they've been frozen. But the other side of the coin is that when I do use frozen foods and I come home starving, often it takes too long to get them from freezer to table and I resort to what's easiest, which is a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast, or a handful of nuts. These often don't satisfy me and I end up trolling for snacks all night long.

I don't know what the answer is to all this. I'm still trying to find my own personal solutions. Something that allows me to have just the right foods on hand when I need them and doesn't result in so much waste. Foods that are nutritious and satisfying but don't require too much effort to prepare after a long day at work. Right now it seems that short of getting a personal chef (not possible unless I win the lottery some time soon), this isn't going to happen. But I'm hanging in there and I know I'll get there. Still, I'm continually amazed at how something that really should be second nature to us can be so darn difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment